1872: The property where the San Ramon Chapel and cemetery is located is purchased from the US Government by Frederick and Ramona (Foxen) Wickenden, and donated for the church site.
1875: Frederick Wickenden sells 5,000 sheep to purchase redwood boards to add on to his house and build a chapel. The chapel is constructed by Fred Foxen, his brother Thomas and Chris Clausen, a carpenter from Los Alamos.
1876: The coffin containing the remains of Benjamin Foxen is moved to the chapel cemetery.
1879: The chapel is placed under the patronage of Saint Raymond Nonnatus ( San Ramon ), patron of agriculture and farming, by Bishop Francis Mora. The chapel is dedicated as the San Ramon Chapel. Services are held once a month.
1908: The San Ramon chapel is turned over to the newly established Saint Mary's Parish in Santa Maria. Father Terns discontinues regular services. From 1908 until 1933 the San Ramon chapel is used only for an occasional funeral or baptism.
1936: After being reroofed and painted the chapel is rededicated by a group of Santa Barbara citizens led by R.E. Easton.
1950: A plaque is erected by the Daughters of the Golden West (Santa Maria Parlor #276). They designated the chapel the Benjamin Foxen Memorial Chapel.
1958: A project is initiated by Winston Wickenden to restore the chapel. The original wood post footings are replaced with a concrete block foundation.
1959: The Benjamin Foxen Memorial Chapel committee reports that the restoration work has been completed.
1966: The Benjamin Foxen Memorial Chapel becomes the first historical landmark in Santa Barbara County.
1972: A group of local citizens, concerned with deterioration and vandalism, formed the San Ramon Preservation committee. Lighting is installed.
1974: A chain link fence is erected around the chapel and cemetary to deter vandals.
1975: On Sunday August 31, the San Ramon Chapel (renamed) is dedicated as California State Historical Landmark #877. The Santa Maria Cemetery Association which holds the title to the property paints the outside of the chapel before the dedication. Mass is celebrated by Father Bertin Foxen, the great grandson of Benjamin Foxen. In December a steel gate closing the road to the chapel is installed and dedicated the
John W. Woolsey Memorial Gate.
1976: In March, the San Ramon Chapel Preservation Committee is incorporated as a non-profit organization with Winston Wickenden as president. On November 14, at 10:30 a.m. Father Anthony Runtz resumes weekly mass at the San Ramon Chapel.
1978: The Chapel is reroofed. Replacement frames and new glass for the top arches of all six windows
1979: The first BBQ combined with the Rancho Sisquoc Winery Tour is held at the Sisquoc Grange. Proceeds from the BBQ go to the preservation committee.
1983: The preservation committee agrees to restore the chapel at a cost of $12,154. The chapel is raised and a new concrete foundation is installed. The original church benches are replaced and the old benches sold. The Santa Maria Cemetery Association approaches the San Ramon Preservation Committee about leasing the chapel and cemetery grounds for a period of 99 years for $1.00. The San Ramon Preservation Committee turns down the offer.
1984: The Chapel is painted inside and out, the road graded and windows are replaced. Wrought iron bars are purchased and installed on all windows and doors. Light fixtures are donated by Myron and Lorraine Bettencourt. The deed to the property is transfered to the San Ramon Preservation Committee from the Santa Maria Cemetery District.
1985: An electric heater is installed in the chapel. Charles Maurer, an eagle scout, maps the cemetery.
The map is framed and hung at the back of the chapel.
1986: Blacktop is installed on the entrance road to the chapel. Stations of the cross are donated by
1987: The chapel is painted by David McNeil. A letter is drafted and sent to Father Garcia at Saint Louis de Montfort Church offering ownership of the chapel and cemetery.
1988: The Catholic Cemetery Archdiocese of Los Angeles indicates that they will not be responsible for the chapel and cemetery. Erlinda Ontiveros agrees to write a book titled, "San Ramon Pioneers And Their California Heritage." Proceeds to go to the preservation committee. A water well is drilled at the chapel site.
1990: The Santa Barbara Foundation awards a grant of $5,000 to go toward the publication of The San Ramon Chapel Pioneers and Their California Heritage.
1994: The San Ramon Beautification Project is OK'd by the preservation committee. Parts of the fence are replaced with a decorative steel fence. White crosses are placed at all unmarked grave sites. Broken grave markers are repaired and the cemetary is thoroughly cleaned. A permanent bathroom facility is installed.
A birthday party is held at the chapel celebrating Erlinda Ontiveros's 100th birthday.
1996: The parking lot of the chapel is paved. A Memorial Rose Garden is planted.
1999: The chapel is reroofed. Three prior layers of shingles are removed (including the original wood shingles), the roof is sheeted and a new roof installed. The top four feet of the two towers are replaced.
Two new crosses are installed. The chapel is repainted by David Mcniel.
2010: Window Replacement Project: Several chapel regulars and some anonymous donors contributed to purchase the windows with Halsell Builders donating the labor.
2012: Individual community members donate from $1,000 to over $200,000 to do a complete restoration. Structural rebuild, exterior weatherproofing, and cosmetic improvements were necessary as the the entire structure had been compromised mainly due to birds, wasps, rodents, termite damage, and dry rot. James and Joe Halsell and the Halsell Builders team of employees, subcontractors, and suppliers utilize their talents to completely restore the chapel.
2013: A fundraiser dinner and auction, hosted by a committee of local wineries along with the Preservation Committee is held at Far Western Tavern on February 9, 2013 which raised approximately $30,000 for the grounds improvements. Jim Nishimori designs and implements a hardscape/landscape design for the chapel perimeter including walkways, patios, benches, picnic tables, landscape lighting, and exterior sound system.
2016: The first celebration of the Feast Day of San Ramon (August 31) takes place on September 11, 2016 after mass on the chapel grounds. Donations are collected for the commissioning of a statue of San Ramon to be built by local artist Carol Paulsen to sit atop the pedestal of the Memorial Rose Garden. Estimated date of completion is January 2017.
A fundraiser hymns concert entitled "Songs, Stories and Syrah" was held at the chapel on March, 25, 2017, 6pm. Singer/songwriter Chris Beland played songs from his ancient hymns album entitled Gospel Hymns No. 5. Father Aidan Peter introduced each hymn and told the story and history of the hymn and the times. Local wines and foods from Chef Rick, and toffee from Toffee Addiction were available. The event was a huge success and raised over $2,000 for the chapel.
A second "Songs, Stories and Syrah" hymns concert was held on September, 2, 2017, 6pm. This time Chris Beland played songs from his new hymns album entitled Vill du Havre which featured the songs of Phillip P. Bliss. Again Father Aidan Peter introduced each hymn Local wines, food from Chef Rick, steak sandwiches and a variety of desserts were available. Again, the event was a huge success and raised over $3,000 to go toward our water well project.
The chapel donated $500 to the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, TX the victims of a mass shooting attack.
Donor plaques were installed on the chapel grounds acknowledging the statue donors and Halsell Builders for their work on behalf of the chapel's restoration. The restoration major donor plaque will soon be installed and a dedication event is to come!
A local family donated $20,000 to the chapel to go towards our Water Well Drilling Project.
On December 26, 2017, the Santa Barbara Foundation awarded the chapel a grant for $10,000 to go towards our Water Well Drilling Project.